This website cannot be viewed properly using this version of Internet Explorer.

To ensure your security while viewing this site, please use a modern browser such as Chrome or update to a newer version of Internet Explorer.

Download Chrome (Made by Google)
Update Internet Explorer (Made by Microsoft)

1.  What is JLUS and JLUS-IC?


The Joint Land Use Study (JLUS) is a collaborative land use planning effort between military installations, affected land use planning authorities and regional governments.  The intent is to enhance the military’s mission and greatly improve collaborative communications between all participants.  The Implementation Committee (JLUS-IC) is a diverse group people from each of the partner organizations committed to completing the JLUS results and recommendations. 

See http://snmepjointlanduse.org/history-of-jlus.aspx for explanation on history of JLUS (the study itself).  You can visit http://snmepjointlanduse.com/history-of-jlus.aspx for documents and maps.  You can visit  http://snmepjointlanduse.org/history-of-jlus.aspxfor information on the implementation.




2.  Who is part of the JLUS project in our area?


The Primary Partners are: Ft. Bliss, White Sands Missile Range, Holloman Air Force Base, Otero County, Socorro County, Doña Ana County, Sierra County, Lincoln County, and El Paso County.  Along with the Cities of Alamogordo, Las Cruces, and El Paso.  See our page at: http://snmepjointlanduse.org/our-partners.aspx where you can find information and links to the military, federal agency, state agency, counties, and municipal partners who make up the Implementation committee.




3.  What exactly is the Land Use Planning Tool and what can it do for me:


It is a mapping tool for use by communities, local governments, military installations, and developers to provide land-use data in the vicinity of military installations, military airspace, or other areas of military operations




As a commercial business or private citizen?


It will aid in determining if the area you would like to place a structure, vertical or horizontal, is within a military impact or encroachment zone.  In turn, if your structure is in-between 75ft and 199ft tall, use the Land Use Planning Tool http://snmepjointlanduse.org/land-use-planning-tool/can help to determine best point of contact for more information.




4.  Where can I get more information about JLUS-IC if I want to talk to a person?


Please go tohttp://snmepjointlanduse.org/contact-us.aspx and fill in a contact request.  Please tell us where you are, or where the site is in question, and your request will automatically be routed to the person who can best respond to your request.  If you have not received a response within five business days, please contact the Regional Planner at 575-525-6120.




5.  Are there any other projects like this in other communities or states I can look at?


Simply search “JLUS” on your favorite search engine and select any one of the numerous other sites like: Kirtland AFB, NM; JBSA Randolph, Naval Air Station Meridian; or Ellsworth JLUS just to name a few.  You can also visit http://www.oea.gov/ and select compatible use http://www.oea.gov/how-we-do-it/compatible-use. By scrolling down a little on the page, you can select any one of the projects listed.




6.  If I want to tell someone about _________, who do I contact in my area?




For a new tower or windmill…contact your county or city planning office or county or city clerk’s office for more assistance.  You could also reach out to the closest military installation’s Public Affairs office to connect with flight operations.  Also, bear in mind if the tower or windmill is in excess of 200ft tall, you are required to coordinate with the FAA for approval prior to placement.




For a noise complaint…please go to http://snmepjointlanduse.org/Select “comment form.”  Immediately below the word “comment form” and in red text, click on noise complaint.  From there, please fill in the appropriate blanks.  Once you have completed all the information, click submit.  You will then receive a response from the appropriate military installation.




7.  Whom do I contact to find out about any building or height restrictions in my area for something I want to build?


Contact your closest building department or planning and zoning department.  They might be the closest city or county office.




8.  Who can help me decipher what the “layers” or buttons do in the mapping tool?


Most of the layers pertain to offices or organizations that are accustomed to their use.  For any active layer you can “left” click on the highlighted area and it will create a pop-up that will identify some useable information.




The layers you should pay attention to, if you are not familiar with them, are:


BLM: Surface Own will tell you who owns or has responsibility for any given land.


Ft Bliss: Transmission line, airspace, air corridor, aviation operation, Army Compatible Use Buffer (ACUB), operational noise area and their boundary.


Holloman: imaginary surface and airspace.


WSMR: boundary and call-up area


MGRS: will take you to a different map function.  If you are not familiar with it, it likely will not help you.


Spaceport: its map.


White Sands National Monument: unit boundaries




Map types will allow you to select different backgrounds that will give you additional information that may be of use.




9.  What height of obstruction (anything man made with vertical height) is JLUS and its partners interested in?


The JLUS-IC partners are interested in anything with a height above 75feet.  The primary interest for the height of any structure is to assist in making the airspace in our region safe for all operators, military or civilian.




10.  Is this project going to require I get some sort of approval or permission before I build something on my own property?


Absolutely not.  This project does not require anything from any citizen.  However, your city or county planning and zoning or building department may.  The JLUS website is strictly a resource for determining impacts to military operations and potentially, civilian’s us of military airspace use as well.  The website is also a tool to determine if a prospective build site is within a noise zone or military training area that will have a lot of noise.  Additionally, any reporting of projects, obstructions, or new towers, as an example, is purely voluntary, but is greatly appreciated.




11.  I understand one of the goals of JLUS is to improve communication, has that happened? 


Communication has improved by the working groups, through Implementation Committee coordination, and community outreach by the military organizations themselves.  The Land Use Planning Tool promotes information flow of areas on interest can be viewed by any viewer and will provide pertinent information on a given region as well.  These advances in communication are not only expected to continue, but grow in the future.




12.  Who paid for the Study and what happens when the money is gone?


The Department of Defense, Office of Economic Adjustment is responsible for funding of the grant.  Please go to http://www.oea.gov/ for more information.




13.  How do I get a copy of the study?


Please go to http://snmepjointlanduse.org/maps-and-reports.aspx.  You’ll find all pertinent documents and maps in this area.




14.  How can I find out more information on property easement near a military installation and whether or not there is interest to lease my land?


Contact the appropriate military installation Public Affairs office and ask to speak with the office that handles land leases.


The numbers are: Ft. Bliss – AFBL-PA (915)744-8498 or IMBL-PA (915)568-4505;


White Sands Missile Range – (575)678-1134; and Holloman AFB – (575)572-7381




15.  I'd like to make a comment on the Project Reports area, how do I?


Please use the comment form off of the home page and you can comment on nearly anything concerning this project, the web page, or the projects there.